The damp weather can become a breeding ground for wild mushrooms. While most mushrooms won’t have much of an effect on your pet, there are some extremely toxic ones. These mushrooms can be hard to identify, and often the time spent identifying the mushroom could cause delays in life-saving treatment. We strongly suggest erring on the side of caution and keeping your pet away from all mushrooms.
If you notice mushrooms in your garden, remove them before allowing your pet to enter. It is essential to remove all parts of the mushroom and not just kick them away. This will also stop the mushroom spore from spreading around your garden.
Some mushroom can be fatal, and symptoms don’t always show immediately. Warning signs can differ depending on the mushroom, and can include any of the following;
- Bloody diarrhoea.
- Abdominal pain.
- Constricted pupils.
- Trouble walking.
If your pet does eat a mushroom, take a picture of it and call us straight away.
If you have any questions about mushrooms and their toxicity, call 6255-7950 or book online.